Wanna know if you’re in the right place?
If you can relate to any of these things you just might be, so stick around!
- Do you take pictures?
- But wish you could learn to take better pictures?
Maybe you’ve tried to become a better photographer, but . . .
- You’re frustrated that your photos don’t turn out the way you want and you can’t figure out why.
- You don’t have time for a traditional class between your crazy work hours, time with family, and life in general.
- You’ve seen ads for classes that sound interesting but they’re all too far away.
- Some of your past photography instructors have moved too fast, leaving you to sit and suffer silently and learn nothing in class.
- You feel you are too “mature” to learn something new or don’t want to look foolish.
- You’ve spent a lot of money on a good camera, but digital photography is just too confusing, and you’re afraid you made the wrong choice.
- You’ve tried some classes but feel like they never cover exactly what you’re missing, or answer that specific question you have that no one ever seems to ask.
If you can relate, this site is for you!
Hi, my name is Darlene Hildebrandt
Through my experience working with people just like you, I’ve come to understand that many aspiring photographers have a lot of the same questions, issues, and even fears.
I help people learn how to use their cameras, troubleshoot and solve their problems, and get past their fears by going out with them on workshops and photography tours, as well as in articles here on the site and my online classes.
I am a solid fan!
As a teacher and college professor for over 40 years. You have continually provided instruction that people of all ability levels can plug into and not be over or under whelmed.
Thanks for the reply. You are one of the few that take time to do that.
I’ve learnt more from you than all other websites combined
I have read lots of websites before I stumbled across Digital Photo Mentor. I think I’ve learnt more from you than all other websites combined
A lot of that is the way you explain things - I’m a teacher myself and appreciate how accessible you make the information.
I feel your pain, and I’m here to help!
Through regular articles written by me, and selectively chosen guest authors, you’ll get step by step information on the challenges you’re most interested in overcoming.
Topics including the ones below, are just some of the things you can read about here. The list is constantly expanding as a new article is added weekly.
Join the discussion
These seem to be the most popular articles at the moment. Have a look through them and then join the discussion using the Disqus interface below each of the articles. You can register and login with facebook, google or twitter if you like, so it’s really easy to participate.
- 3 Tips For Spectacular Sunset Photos
- 5 Mistakes Beginners Make Using a Wide-Angle Lens and How to Avoid Them
- Avoid These 9 Beginner Photography Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Images
- Correct Your Images in Under 2 Minutes Using Lightroom 5
- 6 Street Photography Tips
- Tips for Low Light Photography
- 25 Iconic Photographers
- Panning: How To Add a Sense of Motion to Your Images
How is this site different from others like it?
There are probably hundreds of sites about learning photography. This site is different because of . . . well, frankly—me! My aim with this site is to be approachable and responsive to your needs. Tell me what you want to know, and if I don’t know the answer, I’ll do my best to find a guest writer that does. Post a comment on an article, or ask a question and I will answer it. Send me a message on Instagram, Facebook, or Contact me here on the site, and I will get back to you.
I am a real person and a real photographer with over 29 years of experience as a professional. I can help! Please participate in discussions and comments on the articles, I’d love for you to join in with us.
Photography is magic to me, it always has been. I love sharing it and seeing others like you feel the magic too! – Darlene
But first and foremost I LOVE seeing the light bulbs go off, and I live vicariously through your eyes as you achieve your photography goals. I love the win/win it creates as you get to express the creativity that perhaps you didn’t even know you had—and I get to experience photography anew, through the passion and wide-eyed wonder of someone new to the art.
Just writing this makes me all giddy inside!
Who am I?
And where do I get off telling you how to take better photos?
I am the face behind Digital Photo Mentor. I have been a professional photographer for over 30 years, and as such, have photographed everything from soup to hay—literally—including doing food photography; weddings; family portraits; corporate events and products.
After a forced change of direction (a.k.a. divorce), I left my photography studio behind and moved on to other aspects of photography—including sales, fine art, and travel. I’ve finally landed on teaching and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve written for and have been published on websites and in newspapers around the world, and was also the Managing Editor of Digital Photography School for 5 years, one of the most popular photography sites on the internet.
I taught several workshop-style classes in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada including:
- Travel Photography – how to get better photos on your next trip
- Night Photography – a very popular class that often includes a field trip
- Available Light Photography – learn about using natural light for better people photos
- Street Photography – how to photograph on the street, including strangers, safely and have more confidence
Photo tour leader:
I currently lead photo tours to Morocco, India, Vietnam, Peru, and we recently added some new destinations including Bhutan, Eastern Cuba, and Thailand. We’re also working on Patagonia and some other exciting places. They will be added to our tour section when more information becomes available.
I also do workshops for photographers of all skill levels in Alberta and British Columbia Canada, a Scotland landscape workshop and may add Mexico, Havana Cuba, and am developing an Eastern Canadian workshop that would be situated to suit Canadian and North Eastern US students.
Maybe because our husbands and wives were not there, maybe because we all shared the same interest, the group was really ONE, not little groups as we always find in a trip. Same age, same experience, no competition, everybody relaxed, funny talks, etc etc
I had much fun and enjoyed every minute of these days. One of my best trips ever.
Managing Editor of Digital Photography School:
After writing for Digital Photography School for nearly 2 years, I was the Managing Editor of that site from November 2013 until September 2018.
I have been featured on these sites or businesses
Other sites I’ve been featured on:
- An interview on Smart Talk Success
- PhoGro – grow your photography – 3 Important Elements of Composition No One’s Talking About
- Nature and wildlife photographer Martin Baily interviews Darlene about quality of light on his podcast
- Bryan at Sprouting Photographer talks with me on his photography podcast about why I think every photographer should adopt an amateur mindset.
- The Two Hosers and I talk about portrait lighting on their photography podcast
- I wrote “How to Find Good Light for Portraits Even at Midday” for DIY Photography website.
- I contributed video from my new Portrait Fundamentals course to PhotographyBB’s photography magazine “Clarity: Photography Beyond the Camera” Volume 5
I have learned more from your site than any I've gone to.
Your explanations are simple and easy to understand and I enjoy the sense of humor you inject into the site. You make learning photography fun and not at all overwhelming! I continue to share your website with friends and family who are into photography.
My personal vision
My vision is to help you be a little more creative, expand your horizons, and maybe even push your boundaries a little. I strive to provide a safe place to learn about photography and yourself as well as a chance to try new things and meet new people along the way.