This 7-day photo editing challenge will help you get started if you’re new to this process, or get unstuck if you’re in a rut. Today you’re going to get to work on a portrait I took in Vietnam.
Today you will learn how to use the new AI Portrait Enhancement tools inside Luminar 4, and see how easy it is to edit a portrait with them. If you use Lightroom I have a video for you as well.
Here are the before and after images.
New Challenge for 2021: With the launch of Luminar AI, we’ve created a brand new 5-day challenge using its amazing artificial intelligence features. Luminar AI has a free 7-day trial available (I provide that for you), which will allow you to follow along with the NEW video tutorials. If you’re new to photo editing, I recommend you take on the 5-day challenge.
If you already own Luminar 4, or you use Windows 7 or 8 and are not able to use the new Luminar AI, you can still do this challenge and practice while improving your editing skills. A free Luminar 4 trial download is provided by email when you join this 7-day challenge.
Photography Challenge Themes for the Week
Over the course of the next 7 days, we’ll be working with these photography themes and practice these editing techniques:
- Street photography – learn about basic edits like contrast and color adjustments and how to apply a Look or preset.
- Portrait and people photography – learn how to do skin retouching and facial enhancements the easy way, and keep it looking natural.
- Black and white conversion – see how to do it the right and wrong way, and how to take your b/w images to another creative level with split toning.
- Details and masking – you’ll learn how to do local edits that apply to just part of the image, and how to enhance sharpness and detail in those targeted areas.
- Landscape photography – take your nature photos up a notch, bring out details in highlight and shadows areas, and see how to replace the sky (not everyone’s cup of tea but you’ll see how easy it is with Luminar 4).
- Texture overlay – learn how to give your images a fine art style with a texture overlay (you’ll even get a few of mine to play with and try out)
- Night photography – learn how to apply many of the techniques you already learned and bring it all together to enhance and bring out details in a stunning night photo I took in Japan.
Step 1 – Download the RAW image
Raw Image File to Process
If you subscribed to join this 7-day challenge, you’ll have been sent the RAW file to edit in the email for this challenge. If you’d like the file to process for today’s exercise, simply join the challenge here. You’ll be sent the files one day at a time by email, giving you time to practice with your editing software each day.
Step 2 – Photo Editing Software
You’ll need to download a free Luminar 4 trial or have a copy of Luminar 4 photo editing software already installed.
A link to a fully functioning 7-day trial of Luminar 4 is provided by email when you join the challenge, so you can follow along with the video tutorials.
Step 3 – watch the video tutorial
Next, watch the video below and follow along if you want. Feel free to pause if you need to, or rewind and watch any parts again. If you have any questions just leave a comment at the bottom of this page.
7-Day Photography Challenge
You’re reading one of a seven-part photography challenge on photo editing. To follow along with this 7-day photography challenge, enter your email address here.
You’ll be sent a daily email with a new editing challenge, and have access to my RAW files to work with so you can follow along.
Join: 7-Day Editing Challenge
Step 4 – Process the image
Now it’s your turn!
Open today’s image in Luminar 4, or your software of choice, and give it a go. Have some fun with it, but remember to not go overboard.
If you use Lightroom for your editing give this video a watch. Then I encourage you to download Luminar 4 and try it that way (install it as a plugin for Lightroom, it works with older versions too so you do NOT need Photoshop to do this).
Step 5 – Share your finished image
Lastly, we want to see what you’ve created – your final finished version (or a few of them). This is how to share your saved image.
Use the commenting system on the bottom of this page to share your image, how you did it, and any experiences you had while doing the challenge.
The image provided for this photography challenge was taken during our 2019 Vietnam photo tour. We hired models in the country to pose for our group allowing us to practice some portrait photography while enjoying the country at the same time.
More Photography Challenges: check out our entire collection of photography challenges. You’ll find our daily and monthly challenges with lots of ideas and inspiration for creative photos. Perfect for beginners or experienced alike.
There are 7 days of practical action taking steps in this photo editing challenge.
Join and follow along and you’ll find you get more confident each and every day. By spending some time each and every day practicing editing your photos, you’ll find your friends and family starting to say “WOW, that’s a great photo!”