This is a FREE lesson from our Portrait Lighting on Location online photography course.
Patterns of light
A lighting pattern is determined by the direction of light, which you learned about in lesson five, and is how the light and shadow come into play on the subject's face. There are four common lighting patterns used by portrait photographers:
There are also two lighting styles: broad and short lighting, which can be applied along with most of the patterns.
In the notes that accompany this lesson, you'll find one lighting pattern covered on each page so you can print them out and take them as cheat sheets (only available if you have purchased the course)
Diagrams from the video for your convenience
Lesson Notes and Exercises
- Lesson 7 Notes (9 pages) – Purchase Course to Access Notes
- Lesson 7 Exercises (1 exercise) – Purchase Course to Access Exercises
You're Moments Away
from Completely Transforming
Your Portrait Photography…
Congratulations. You've found your way to the ultimate online photography course.
With two-dozen professional quality instructional videos covering every aspect of natural light and off-camera flash, Portrait Lighting on Location will to teach you how to use light to flatter your subjects and get the photos you want… every single time.
- Exactly how your camera responds to light, and how to adjust your settings to produce maximum results
- The properties of natural lighting and how you can manipulate it to achieve one-of-a-kind photos
- how to use on- and off-camera flash for both indoor and outdoor shoots, so that you can take great flash photos regardless of the setting
- The equipment you'll actually need, so that you can avoid throwing away money on equipment you'll never use
- And much more!
With over 9000 ambitious photographers having already enrolled in the course, you've undoubtedly heard the community raving about our high quality and content-packed videos… now you can experience the quality for yourself!
For a limited time, we are offering you FREE access to this lesson, Lesson 7: Lighting Patterns.
We are confident you will be completely blown away by what you discover in the free preview above and by the amazing value Portrait Lighting on Location offers it's photography students.
If you're ready to join thousands of other students and take YOUR photography to a whole new level… click here to enroll now for $149.
In this comprehensive video tutorial, you'll learn how to make use of natural light as well as on and off camera flash for making stunning portraits on location.
- the exposure triangle
- camera metering
- properties of light
- equipment for working with natural light
- lighting patterns
- lighting ratios
- angles of view and the face
- basic flash mechanics
- the power of flash
- maximizing one flash on camera or off
- equipment for off-camera flash
- how to setup your speedlights
- metering for flash and working with ratios
We take you on location to three locations using two models and a married couple where you'll see exactly how we shoot in different lighting conditions. You'll learn how to properly meter for one or more flashes, inside and outdoor settings and a sunset.
This is a 25 part video course with over 6 hours of content.
Every photographer wants to flatter their subjects to make them look their best and if that's the case for you, then this course is what you're looking for.