I admit that sometimes I disagree with other photographers and photography instructors, and I have no problem doing so. In this video, I’d like to share seven rather unpopular opinions that I hold regarding photography.
Watch it and see if you agree or disagree with any of my points and share your thoughts below.
Here’s a quick summary of my unpopular opinions:
- Use a UV filter on your lenses.
- You do NOT have to shoot Manual to be a real photographer.
- It’s okay to shoot JPG sometimes or both RAW and JPG.
- The best camera is the one with you, which includes your phone.
- The age-old Canon/Nikon and Apple/PC debates are pointless. They’re all just tools, use what works for you.
- Do NOT upgrade to full frame (at least not without doing your homework first)
- Do NOT go professional just to shoot more (doesn’t happen) and without doing sufficient due diligence.
Here are some links to some related topics and articles and things I mentioned in the video:
- 7 Questions to Ask Before You Upgrade to a Full Frame Camera Body
- Why shoot in RAW format…
- Luminar AI Overview of templates and new interface
- New: Review of the Fuji X100F Mirrorless Camera
- Stress-Free Tips for Buying a Camera Tripod
- How to Choose the Best Digital Camera for You
- Workshop, Tour, or Photo Walk; Which is Right for You?
- Luminar Neo Review and new Luminar Neo Course
To see some of the tools and photography gear that I use, head over to my Amazon page here.
Okay, I know these are not the only areas of contention in photography. Do you have any opinions or beliefs about photography that are unpopular among your peers? Do you agree or disagree with the seven I’ve mentioned above?
It’s your turn to speak up and join the discussion. Tell me in the comments area below where you stand on these and other debatable issues.
Also, come and join over 600 of your fellow DPM readers in our new Facebook group. It’s a great way to share images and give and receive feedback. I make sure everyone plays nicely over there, so it’s a safe and happy place. I promise.