Next Photo Tour of Scotland dates: Fall 2020, dates TBD
Journey back in time with us to a place of untamed natural beauty, rich with myth, and legend. From the towering medieval castles in the lowlands to the sweeping landscape of the highlands, in Scotland, adventure awaits.
From the windswept moors that were once battlegrounds to the hidden mysteries of Loch Ness, Scotland has captivated visitors for centuries. You will see the towering mountains of Glencoe, experience the out of this world landscape of Skye and warm yourself on a visit to a world class scotch distillery.
Scotland Photo Tour – Castles & Lighthouses – 11 Days
- Where: Scotland
- When: Fall 2020
- Length: TBD
- Who: You and 11 other photography enthusiasts.
- What: An 11-day photo tour of Scotland, catering to photographing in the best locations at the best time of day for light. You will travel and learn in an informal small group setting, with a flexible schedule (including free time to explore) and customized photography tips and tutoring in the field to match the group members. This tour is also perfect to bring non-photographers along as well. Although it is customized for photographers there is still a lot to be enjoyed even without a camera in hand.
- Why: Total photography immersion, in a safe and relaxed environment, with experienced professional photographers, and expert local guides (where applicable) providing lots of hands-on help.
Join us on this scenic photo tour of Scotland as we travel from Edinburgh to the Isle of Skye. Passing through lochs, mountains, fairy pools, castles, and whiskey distilleries along the way.
How much is this tour?
This tour is designed to offer you both adventure and comfort.
We stay in comfortable and clean rooms in properties with local character and style when possible.
All your meals are included and we also take care of little incidentals like water daily, entrance fees for all attractions, and snacks on the transport for a smooth easy experience.
|10 – 12 People
Nice group size with a maximum of 12 people
|Small Group Supplement
With less than 10 people (8 – 9), a small group fee will apply
Maximum group size: 12
This is less than many other Scottish photo tours which include 15 – 20 people – please look at that when researching and comparing tours!
NOTE: We have lowered the maximum number of participants on this tour to 12. This is less than many other photography tours which include 15 – 20 people – please look at that when researching and comparing tours. Keeping the group sizes small allows for a smaller, more intimate group in order to give you the best experience.
This means you will have more time with the tour leaders (there are 2 on this tour), and a really nice group size.
Remaining Spots: 12
Single Supplement Price:
- Prices quoted are for double occupancy. NOTE: You will be paired with someone of the same gender if you do not have a travel partner and request a roommate – if one is not available you will be charged the single supplement.
- Price for single room is an additional TBD
Do you love to travel? Are you are as obsessed with travel and photography as we are?
Then you need to join us in Scotland for a highland and lowland adventure you will not want to miss. Not only will you learn how to take better photographs, through the support of our expert teachers, but you can rest assured you will travel to some of the best locations Scotland has to offer photographers.
In the mean time, please add yourself to our wait list. Members of the wait list will be notified first when registration becomes available.
You were awesome
I really loved the way that you got yourself involved and showed us all how to have fun. As for accommodations, I really loved the them all, far exceeded my expectations.
The Best Light
This photography tour to Scotland has been designed to make sure each day you are always photographing in the best light possible.
Over the 11 days, you will learn the best time of day to photograph and how to overcome any challenging lighting situations (like weather, tourists, etc.) you may face with a focus on capturing the inspirational Scottish landscape.
Expect castles at sunrise, mountains at sunset, and everything in between.
The Best Locations
Where others might go in, we go around. Don’t expect the typical tourist locations. On this tour, we take you beyond the tourist trail.
This is a custom designed travel tour, by a photographer, for photography enthusiasts. What you can expect is a journey through the highlands and the Isle of Skye in Scotland.
From iconic historical sites to incredible castles, Scotland doesn't disappoint.
Nobody likes to be rushed. So rest assured, on our photography tours, we prefer to take our time.
We always keep our group sizes small to make sure you have the time you need to get the best photographs possible. That means if you feel like taking a break, and skipping a location or exploring on your own, that’s not a problem.
We are here to support your photographic passion, and if that means taking a break that’s fine by us!
Beautiful Castles & Landscapes
Photographers love Scotland, and for good reason. In a country brimming with stories of Loch Ness Monsters and Highland warriors, it’s easy to understand why.
Like medieval castles? On this tour, you will photograph sunrise and sunset at the enchanting Eilean Donan Castle and spend an afternoon at the ruins of Urquhart Castle, overlooking Loch Ness.
With picnic lunches at Talisker Bay and hearty dinners in traditional Scottish Inns. On this photo tour, even your meals will have a sense of fun and adventure.
Awaken your senses with whiskey tasting at the Dalwhinnie distillery and learn about the traditional art of malt whisky distilling. Then put your knowledge to the test by sampling sumptuous the single malts with specially selected chocolates.
One-on-One Access to Tour Leaders
Come along and join us on a journey through one of the safest and most awe-inspiring destinations in this part of the world.
Your tour leaders are sure to work in some special surprises. Is light painting or food photography up your alley? We’ll add in fun, offbeat photo outings to play with specific skills and photo tricks.
We specially-design our tour as a small group experience. You’ll have plenty of room to find just the right light and with a 6:1 ratio of guests to photo leaders, you have easy one-on-one access to your experienced tour leaders.
We will only be accepting a maximum of 12 guests on this photography tour.
Improve Your Camera Skills
If you like photo vacations with an emphasis on improving your camera skills at the same time, a smaller group presents a greater chance you’ll learn what you came to – and then some!
Over the course of the tour, you will get help in areas you may be struggling with, in a small group setting, out in the field.
This will help maximize your learning opportunities and give you time to get individual help, ask questions, get your images reviewed (time and schedule permitting) and allow us to customize the tour dynamically based on guest needs and skill level.
Scottish Castles & Landscapes – Delve into Scotland's Rich Culture
Overflowing with a rich history, it is impossible not to be inspired by Scotland. From castles to Lighthouses. Placid lochs to the tempestuous North Sea. The flora and fauna of the moors to the rugged beauty of the Nevis Range. Scotland is a country of extremes just waiting for you to explore.
With such magnificent scenery, it really is no wonder Scotland has played the backdrop in so many Hollywood movies – some of which you will get to visit on this tour. If landscape photography is your thing, you will struggle to find many other places in the world that match up to Scotland.
Join us as we travel from historic Edinburgh to the Isle of Skye. Passing through volcanic Glencoe to scenic Fort William. We pause in Glenfinnan to photograph the breathtaking Glenfinnan viaduct before continuing on to Kyle of Lochalsh the gateway to the furthest point on our tour, the picturesque Isle of Skye.
Come along on this exciting, one-of-a-kind tour, designed by photographers for photographers of all levels. Scotland provides the scene, all you have to do is take the shot. Will you join us?
I felt connected. And that difference, shows in my pictures.
I never had a tour guide so good as yours for this tour of Morocco. He made a Huge difference between an average trip and a WOW one.
His love of Morocco showed in every way and made us look at the country and his people with different eyes.The way he taught us, how to behave, how to talk to the people, made a huge difference from my other trips.
This is a tentative schedule, may not be exactly as shown here:
- Day 1 – Edinburgh (D)
- Upon arrival in Edinburgh, you will be met at the hotel, where you will check in and relax for the afternoon enjoying shortbread and British tea (or coffee). After the welcome meeting and orientation, we will enjoy our first evening meal together at the hotel.
Novotel Edinburgh Center Hotel
- Day 2 – Glencoe (B, L, D)
- Our day will begin with a drive through the spectacular Scottish countryside to Loch Lubnaig for our first shoot. After a picnic lunch, we continue on to explore Loch Achtriochtan in Glencoe. Then a quick stop at Lagangarbh Hut before enjoying a cozy dinner at a traditional Scottish Inn.
- Day 3 – Glencoe (B, L, D)
- We start the morning bright and early to catch the sunrise on Etive Mor before continuing to the iconic Black Rock Cottage for an early morning shoot. Upon return to our hotel, we will enjoy breakfast after which you will have some free time before lunch. The afternoon will be spent photographing Loch Leven before hiking (or driving) back to the hotel for dinner.
- Day 4 – Fort William (B, D)
- We begin our third day together driving out to the Nevis Range where we will take the UK’s only gondola up Scotland's eighth highest mountain. Once at the top of Aonach Moor, we will enjoy lunch followed by a photo walk.
Once back down the mountain we will take a drive to photograph the iconic Old Boat of Corpach before continuing on to the hotel for evening meal.
- Day 5 – Distillery tour and a castle visit(B, L, D, W)
- Did someone say whiskey tasting?
That’s right, today you will spend the morning at the highest whiskey distillery currently in Scotland. You can’t get more Scottish than that! You will sample the world class Dalwhinnie whiskey for yourself before enjoying a picnic lunch.
We will then take a short drive to explore the magical Ardverikie Estate with its iconic castle. Onboard our 4x4s we will explore the extensive grounds and scenic landscape and look to photograph the many Red Deer that roam the hills in the area. This also a great opportunity to practice art directing our photos using our 4x4s as the models.
We will end the day with a delicious three-course evening meal served at our hotel.
- Day 6 – Kyle of Lochalsh (B, L, D)
- Just in case you indulged a little too much in the whiskey the day before, today the morning is your own to relax at the hotel or explore the local area at your leisure.
We will travel together just before lunch to Glenfinnan Viaduct for lunch before photographing the train bridge best know from its staring roll in the Harry Potter films.
After you have settled into the hotel we will take a short drive to Eilean Donan Castle for a sunset shoot.
- Day 7 – Kyle of Lochalsh / Isle of Skye (B, L, D)
- This morning we give you the option of a few extra hours sleep or to return to Eilean Donan Castle for a sunrise shoot.
After lunch, we will drive to the magical Fairy Pools. Yes, that’s right fairy pools! We will spend the afternoon photographing the beautiful rock pools and waterfalls filled with crystal clear water.
After dinner at our hotel, we will take a drive to Elgol Bay to photograph the sunset.
- Day 8 – Kyle of Lochalsh / Isle of Skye (B, L, D)
- After a relaxing morning, we will take a drive to Talisker Bay for a picnic lunch and photoshoot.
Late afternoon we will continue on to photograph the enchanted Sligachan Bridge.
Our day isn’t quite over, after dinner we will take a drive to Neist Point Lighthouse for a sunset shoot.
- Day 9 – Loch Ness (B, L, D)
- It’s an early start today so we can arrive in Quarang to photograph the sunrise.
After breakfast we will return once more to Eilean Donan Castle, this time we will enter the castle for a picnic lunch before continuing to the legendary Loch Ness where you will have some free time to relax or go hunting for Nessy.
Loch Ness Lodge
- Day 10 – Edinburgh (B, L, D)
- After a morning cruise on Loch Ness, we will visit Urquhart Castle before returning to Edinburgh together.
On arrival in Edinburgh, we will check into the hotel before enjoying a farewell dinner together.
Doubletree Edinburgh City
- Day 11 – Leave for home (B)
- After we share our final breakfast at the hotel your journey home begins. Alternatively, you can choose to extend your trip, at your own expense, and stay on a few more days in Edinburgh.
Morocco is a fabulous experience!
I would say "GO!!"
You'll have fantastic memories for a lifetime, and pictures to show for it, too.
You will see remarkable sights; meet interesting, like-minded people; have ample opportunity to learn from Darlene; experience a completely different culture; and ride camels and ATV's in the Sahara desert!
Your Photo Tour Leaders:
One of your tour leaders for the Scotland photo tour is Kav Dadfar, a full-time photographer and writer based on the outskirts of London. Kav has been visiting Scotland ever since he was a “wee lad” and has returned numerous times to photograph its stunning landscape.
From exploring historic Edinburgh to hiking the Quiraing loop in wind and fog. From avoiding the midges in the faraway shores of the Orkney Isles to sleeping in the car waiting for the right light in Glencoe, the lure of this mythical land keeps pulling him back.
Kav has a wealth of experience in photographing high-end stock shots as well as shooting assignments and commercial work for various clients over the years.
His images have been used by the likes of Condé Nast, National Geographic, Lonely Planet, Rough Guides, American Express, multiple National newspapers and many more. As a regular writer for various photography websites, Kav has written over 150 articles on photography.
Your second tour leader for this photo tour of Scotland is Darlene. Darlene is the creator of Digital Photo Mentor, a photography teacher, tour leader, traveler, and a cat owner.
She has over 30 years of experience as a professional photographer, has been teaching since 2011 and has led over 8 photo tours and 20 photography workshops.
Darlene is a Fuji user but speaks almost all other photography languages. Whatever your skill level and experience, she can help you unlock the next level and take better photos.
Cost of Photo Tour of Scotland
We have lowered the maximum number of participants on this tour to 12. This is less than many other Scotland tours which include 15 – 20 people – please look at that when researching and comparing tours. Keeping the group sizes small allows for a smaller, more intimate group in order to give you the best experience.
This means you will have more time with the tour leader(s), and a really nice group size.
The minimum number of people required to run the tour is six.
Join the wait list to be notified first when the tour is available.