Visual Storytelling Conference
This weekend coming up soon I will be teaching one of the sessions at an online conference for photographers and video creators. It’s called the Visual Storytelling Conference and there are a lot of great sessions.
Best of all, it is FREE to sign up. All you have to do is register. There is also a virtual trade show, raffles, and door prizes. So what are you waiting for?
With over 33 years of experience, I’ve photographed everything from food, editorial, products, portraits, weddings, and events.
Nowadays I prefer street and travel photography, but still consider myself a people photographer first and foremost, which is where my portrait lighting skills and experience come in handy.
I’ve been teaching beginner and intermediate photographers since 2011 through articles here on the Digital Photo Mentor website, video tutorials on my YouTube channel, and photography workshops (in-person and virtual classes or webinars). As a Skylum Ambassador, I am also a skilled trainer for LuminarAI, Luminar Neo, and Aurora HDR.
What I’ll be teaching at the Visual Storytelling Conference
In this 50-minute talk, I will share stories and tips about how she made some of her most iconic travel portraits such as these below.
Faces of the World – Capturing Photos Around the Globe
In this session you’ll learn the three steps I use for creating some of my most iconic travel portraits.
- Planning is the key to success
- Photography tips
- Processing tips
I’ll talk about location scouting, lighting (both natural light and using flash), communication with the model when you don’t speak the language, to tip or not to tip, and the legalities of taking photos of strangers.
You will be able to use the tips to improve your people and street photography as well. So, in these times when travel may not be possible or feasible (rising gas prices!), you can still capture some stunning images in your own city or neighborhood.
Why should you register for this conference?
Instead of answering that question, let me ask you this – why would you NOT?
It’s FREE to register and only takes a few minutes and then you’re set. You can watch any of the classes live between March 10th and 13th. They will also be available to watch the replay of any you missed until the end of the conference (the 13th).
If you want to watch more of them, can’t get to them all before the time runs out, or want to watch a few again – they also have an option to buy a VIP or VIP+ pass.
That gives you access to ALL of the session recordings for 180 days, and you’ll also be eligible to win one of the raffles of some great prizes being given away (including 3 copies of my Portrait Fundamentals online course).
To get 20% off either of the VIP passes above, use my discount code (before March 13th): DARLENE20. OR simply CLICK HERE and the discount will be pre-applied for you! Then just choose the kind of pass you want.
Notice the value of just one of the items you get below as a bonus covers the price of a VIP ticket ($99 with the discount code and 20% off).
I’d suggest you go for Mylio! I will be checking out that software and doing a review soon but it looks really cool! If you shoot weddings try AfterShoot or if neither of those is appealing to you, try ON1 Effects, they have some nice options as a plugin for Lightroom and Photoshop.
Which session do you recommend?
Once you’re signed up you can do a sort for any PHOTOGRAPHY topics and look at those to see which are relevant to you and your photography.
I have bookmarked a few for myself too. I recommend you check out the following ones:
- Creativity At Your Fingertips by Juliana Broste
- Planning your outdoor photo shoots with precision with Photopills (I use this app all the time!)
- Keynote presentation by Elia Locardi – he’s a Fuji Ambassador and his images are mind blowingly good! You will love it.
- Photoshop finishing touches for incredible images wiht Dave Cross. He’s a fellow Canadian and Adobe master!
- Shoot Beauty: The Psychology and Techniques behind Photographing Beauty with Joe Edelman. He’s a fun instructor, don’t miss this one even if you don’t want to do this kind of photography.
- Faces of the World: Capturing Photos Around the Globe with ME!
- Why composites don’t look real and how to fix them with Photoshop – by Unmesh Dinda. He’s great and has a large YouTube channel.
- The Impact of Color on Creativity and Mood by Robbie Carman – this one looks really informative!
- Brainstorming for creative portraits with Julie Powell
- Creating your own DIY textures for photography with Nicole S. Young
- Lighting and styling a dramatic portrait with Vanelli
- How to make magical photographs with one light – by Matthew Jordan Smith
- Luminar Neo tips with Jim Nix
- Compositon in-camera and in post-production with Kevin Ames.
And that’s just the photography category! There are tons more in the Creative and Keynote categories and if you’re into doing video lots in that track as well!
There is something for everyone!
Don’t have your free ticket yet? Register today and join us for free, March 10-13, 2022!
Remember to use the discount code: Darlene20 to get 20% off if you decide to get a VIP pass!
OR simply click the button below and the discount will be pre-applied for you! Then just choose the kind of pass you want.
The conference app and how it works
Once you are signed up you will get access to the conference app. It’s really cool! You can check off the programs you’re most interested in and even add them to your calendar so you don’t miss them.
Allow me to show you around. I made a little video to show you the site, the conference app, and how you can sign up for my session and connect with me!
Let’s do this!
I hope to see you on Friday at my session. I will also be attending the Ask Me Anything panel shortly after the end of my talk. So join me there and bring a notebook!